Discover the Power of Touch Wellness Clinic
Privacy & Confidentiality policy
Current as of: 29/05/2018
Why and when your consent is necessary
When you register as a patient of our practice, you provide consent for our Naturopath and clinic staff to access and use your personal information so they can provide you with the best possible healthcare. Only staff who need to see your personal information will have access to it. If we need to use your information for anything else, we will seek additional consent from you to do this.
Why do we collect, use, hold and share your personal information?
What personal information do we collect?
The information we will collect about you includes your:
- names, date of birth, addresses, contact details
- medical information including medical history, medications, allergies, adverse events, immunisations, social history, family history and risk factors
- healthcare identifiers
- health fund details.
Dealing with us anonymously
You have the right to deal with us anonymously or under a pseudonym unless it is impracticable for us to do so or unless we are required or authorised by law to only deal with identified individuals.
How do we collect your personal information?
Our practice may collect your personal information in several different ways.
- When you make your first appointment our practice staff will collect your personal and demographic information via your registration and patient questionnaires.
- During the course of providing Naturopathic services, we may collect further personal information.
From your current GP, or other Health professionals (with consent from you),
- We may also collect your personal information when you visit our website, download or opt-in for an E-book, E-course, Cleanse programs and any other downloadable material, send us an email or SMS, telephone us, make an online appointment or communicate with us using social media. (Third parties also has the possibility to share your data, for example Facebook, Instagram.)
- Mail chimp is in alignment with the new privacy policies.
- In some circumstances personal information may also be collected from other sources. Often this is because it is not practical or reasonable to collect it from you directly. This may include information from:
- your guardian if under 18years of age or responsible person
When, why and with whom do we share your personal information?
We sometimes share your personal information:
- with third parties who work with our practice for business purposes, such as pathology labs, practitioner supplement suppliers, mail chimp ( newsletters and information via email) – these third parties are required to comply with APPs and this policy
- with other healthcare providers ( with consent)
- when it is required or authorised by law (eg court subpoenas)
- when it is necessary to lessen or prevent a serious threat to a patient’s life, health or safety or public health or safety, or it is impractical to obtain the patient’s consent
- to establish, exercise or defend an equitable claim
- for the purpose of confidential dispute resolution process
- when there is a statutory requirement to share certain personal information (eg some diseases require mandatory notification)
Only people who need to access your information will be able to do so. Other than in the course of providing naturopathic services or as otherwise described in this policy, our practice will not share personal information with any third party without your consent.
We will not share your personal information with anyone outside Australia (unless under exceptional circumstances that are permitted by law) without your consent.
Our practice will not use your personal information for marketing any of our goods or services directly to you without your express consent. If you do consent, you may opt out of direct marketing at any time by notifying our practice in writing.
How do we store and protect your personal information?
Your personal information may be stored at our practice in various forms. Including but not limited to paper records, electronic records, and visual records
Our practice stores all personal information securely. Records are not cloud based, computer security and password protected computer software, secure cabinets.
How can you access and correct your personal information at our practice?
You have the right to request access to, and correction of, your personal information.
Our practice acknowledges patients may request access to their medical records. We require you to put this request in writing and our practice will respond within a reasonable time, within 14 business days.
Our practice will take reasonable steps to correct your personal information where the information is not accurate or up to date. From time to time, we will ask you to verify that your personal information held by our practice is correct and current. You may also request that we correct or update your information, and you should make such requests in writing to Louise Kerwin firstname.lastname@example.org
How can you lodge a privacy-related complaint, and how will the complaint be handled at our practice?
We take complaints and concerns regarding privacy seriously. You should express any privacy concerns you may have in writing. We will then attempt to resolve it in accordance with our resolution procedure within 30 days.
Discover the Power of Touch Wellness Clinic
207 Frenchville Road Frenchville
Louise Kerwin p: 0416284893.
You may also contact the HCCC. Generally, the HCCC will require you to give them time to respond before they will investigate. For further information visit www.hccc.nsw.gov.au
Privacy and our website
Policy review statement